Sunderland vs Sheffield United – Prediction
Author: Joe Kizlauskas
Last Updated: March 15, 2023
The Championship tie at Stadium of Light this coming Wednesday sees home team Sunderland up against Sheffield United.
Sunderland vs Sheffield United Stats
- Sunderland have scored in the last 20 matches in a row
- In 7 of the last 9 matches Sunderland played, both teams scored
- Sunderland have lost the last 3 matches in a row and both teams scored at the same time
- Sunderland have scored in 11 of the last 12 home matches
- Sunderland have lost the last 3 matches in a row while scoring less than 1.5 goals
- In the last 5 Sheffield United matches the sum of goals was under 1.5
- In 11 of the last 13 Sheffield United away matches the sum of goals was under 3.5
- In the last 5 Sheffield United matches the sum of goals was under 2.5
- Sheffield United have not lost 10 of the last 12 away matches
- In the last 5 Sheffield United matches the sum of goals was under 3.5
Sunderland vs Sheffield United Squad lists
The 59-year-old coach of the home team, Tony Mowbray, will select the lineup against Sheffield United from this squad:
- Bass, Patterson, Alese, Ballard, Batth, Cirkin, Ekwah, Hume, Johnson, Pritchard, Evans, Neil, Michut, Embleton, Taylor, Gelhardt, Anderson, O’Nien, Gooch, Roberts, Ba, Diallo, Lihadji, Clarke, Bennette, Huggins, Stewart.
Sheffield United Squad
This is the full squad of players that the Sheffield United head coach Heckingbottom will select from for his starting XI:
- Davies, Brooks, Ahmedhodzic, Osborn, Sharp, Basham, Clark, Jebbison, Stevens, Maguire, Baldock, Ndiaye, Coulibaly, O’Connell, Robinson, McAtee, Bogle, Starbuck, Egan, Fleck, Gordon, Marsh, Lowe, McBurnie, Norwood, Arblaster, Brewster, Norrington-Davies, Sachdev, Berge, Doyle, Foderingham, Osula.
Sunderland vs Sheffield United Lineups
Sunderland vs Sheffield United Preview
Sunderland suffered a couple of disappointments in their last three matches, as they were run over by Coventry in a 2-1 defeat. Stoke also proved too hard to handle, as they won 1-5, before Sunderland were able to strike back last time out in a 0-1 win against Norwich. In their last six Championship home matches, Sunderland have three wins, while they’ve drawn one and lost two. They scored eight and conceded ten goals.
In their previous three encounters, Sheffield United lost 1-0 against Blackburn, won 0-1 against Reading and lost 0-1 against Luton. Sheffield United claimed two wins against two draws and two defeats in their last six away matches in the Championship. The scoreline from these matches reads six goals conceded and six scored. Sheffield United are among the 3 best away teams in the Championship this season. They put nine wins on the board, scoring 21 goals whilst also conceding 15.
Sunderland vs Sheffield United H2H
Sheffield United beat Sunderland twice in their most recent meetings, as they claimed wins by 2-1 and 3-0, respectively. Look for a win for either side in the betting market here, as a stalemate seems highly unlikely. They have not played out a single draw in their last seven encounters. Sunderland managed three wins, while Sheffield United grabbed all three points four times in these seven encounters. Picking the home win gets you odds at 3.25 with the bookies, whereas the best betting odds on an away win at full-time are at 2.30.
Current Championship standings
While Sheffield United are chasing the lead in the Championship after collecting 67 points in 36 rounds, Sunderland trail by 52 points after 36 rounds, leaving them as number 10 in the table.
Full Time Betting
Stadium of Light witnessed Sunderland winning four of their 10 latest matches across all tournaments here. They drew one and lost five in this run. Sheffield United won five of their previous 10 games away, drew three and lost two. Of the last 10 times Sunderland stepped out in front of their home crowd, “both teams to score” happened six times. Both teams also scored in five of the last 10 away games for Sheffield United.
Both Teams to Score
Sheffield United beat Sunderland twice in their most recent meetings, as they claimed wins by 2-1 and 3-0, respectively. The last 3 Championship meetings between Sunderland and Sheffield United had over 2.5 goals. Both teams found the back of the net two times in the last seven matches between Sunderland and Sheffield United.
Over 2.5 goals came out four times in the last seven encounters between these two teams. Sunderland managed an average of 0.99 goals, with Sheffield United averaging 1.15 goals in these games. Both teams to score was a winning bet two times in this run of matches. Over 2.5 goals happened in five of Sunderland’s last ten matches across all tournaments. They scored an average of 1.3 goals along the way. Over 2.5 goals happened in four of the last ten outings for Sheffield United, who managed to score 1.2 times in those matches.