Author: Joe Kizlauskas
Last Updated: March 14, 2023
Burnley are out to consolidate their place inside the top four of the Championship table, when stepping up against Wigan for a match on Saturday. Wigan no doubt have a surprise in mind, but a win for Burnley nevertheless seems the likely outcome.
Burnley vs Wigan Stats
- Burnley have not lost 37 of the last 39 matches
- Burnley have not lost the last 22 home matches in a row
- Burnley have scored in the last 27 home matches in a row
- Burnley have won 16 of the last 18 home matches
- In 15 of the last 17 Burnley matches the sum of goals was under 3.5
- Wigan have not won the last 13 away matches in a row
- In the last 11 Wigan matches the sum of goals was under 3.5
- Wigan have not won 22 of the last 24 matches
- In 18 of the last 20 Wigan away matches the sum of goals was under 3.5
- In 9 of the last 11 Wigan matches the sum of goals was under 2.5
Burnley vs Wigan Squad lists
Vincent Kompany will choose the starting lineup for the upcoming game against Wigan from the following players:
- Arijanet Muric, Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Denis Franchi, Ameen Al Dakhil, Charlie Taylor, Connor Roberts, Hjalmar Ekdal, Ian Maatsen, Louis Beyer, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Vitinho, Darko Churlinov, Jack Cork, Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Josh Brownhill, Josh Cullen, Manuel Benson, Nathan Tella, Samuel Bastien, Anass Zaroury, Ashley Barnes, Halil Dervisoglu, Jay Rodriguez, Lyle Foster, Michael Obafemi, Scott Twine.
This is the full squad of players that the Wigan head coach Maloney will select from for his starting XI:
- Ben Amos, Jamie Jones, Matt Wonnacott, Sam Tickle, Curtis Tilt, Jack Whatmough, James Carragher, Jason Kerr, Jordan Cousins, Joseph Bennett, Martin Kelly, Omar Rekik, Ryan Nyambe, Steven Caulker, Tom Naylor, Tom Pearce, Anthony Scully, Danel Sinani, James McClean, Max Power, Scott Smith, Tendayi Darikwa, Thelo Aasgaard, Ashley Fletcher, Callum Lang, Charlie Wyke, Christ Tiehi, Josh Magennis, Miguel Azeez, Will Keane.
Burnley vs Wigan Lineups
Burnley vs Wigan Preview
In their last three matches, Burnley won 4-0 and 1-0 against first Huddersfield then Fleetwood, before drawing 0-0 against Blackpool. Burnley showed little mercy in their past six matches at the Turf Moor, of which they won five and drew once. Going undefeated, they hit the target 14 times, while letting in two themselves. Burnley are on fire on home soil this season with 40 goals, while also conceding 13. This makes them the most scoring home team in the Championship.
Wigan only managed to gain a single point in their past three games, which kicked off with a 2-1 defeat against Preston. A 1-1 draw with Birmingham followed, before West Bromwich ran out 1-0 winners. Wigan didn’t manage a single away win in their last six Championship matches, but managed three draws, while suffering three defeats. They conceded nine and scored four goals themselves.
Burnley vs Wigan H2H
Wigan don’t exactly enjoy playing Burnley, whom they have beaten only once in 7 meetings. The late encounter in the Championship between these two teams was a belter of a 1-5 match. Are we in for a similar goal-fest on Saturday? Burnley outclassed Wigan in their latest encounter, when they claimed a 5-1 win. The bookies have Burnley to win this match at best price odds of 1.36.
Current Championship standings
Placed one in the table Burnley have amassed 77 points after 35 matches. On 32 points, Wigan rank 24 with 35 matches played this season.
Full Time Betting
Burnley racked up nine wins from a possible 10 across all tournaments at Turf Moor, drew one and lost zero. Wigan won zero of their previous 10 away, drew six and lost four times. An impressive eight of the last 10 matches on home soil for Burnley went over 2.5 goals. Of these, three even went over 3.5 goals. In four of the last 10 away games for Wigan the match had more than 2.5 goals. Over 3.5 goals came out two times.
Both Teams to Score
Burnley won the last two meetings against Wigan, as they followed up a 2-0 win by beating their upcoming opponent by a 5-1 score. At least one team managed to keep a clean sheet six times in the last seven matches between Wigan and Burnley. Odds on both teams not to score are best priced at 1.53 with the bookies. At least one team managed to keep a clean sheet six times in the last seven matches between Wigan and Burnley. Odds on both teams not to score are best priced at 1.53 with the bookies.
Over 2.5 goals came out one time in the last seven encounters between these two teams. Burnley managed an average of 1.14 goals, with Wigan averaging 0.43 goals in these games. Both teams to score was a winning bet one time in this run of matches. Over 2.5 goals happened in four of Burnley’s last ten matches across all tournaments. They scored an average of 1.6 goals along the way. Over 2.5 goals happened in two of the last ten outings for Wigan, who managed to score 0.6 times in those matches.